Monday 14 October 2013

Style simplification understanding (darren)









Here is a quick post of work I did over the weekend to get a better understanding of the style which the group was aiming for. As part of this I broke away from the mech designing to clear my head and swapped that role with a fellow group member in exchange to design the monsters for a short time period. I decided to instead of just copy her designs exactly I would instead take the main defining elements and mix them up with other ones.

With her designs the main characteristic of the monster was that it was large and broad and had features related to a fox or wolf. Below are my ideas where I explored the features of gorillas, hyenas, frogs and wolves to generate some monster designs that still follow the direction she was exploring but with a different spin.










Along with the designs above I experimented with the magnetic loop tool in Photoshop to experiment and generate silhouettes that could be used to generate further creature or mech designs. It seems to be fairly useful for generating energetic designs quick but most designs do look a bit too complex to fit in the aesthetic the group is aiming for and therefore they may have to be simplified.




No comments:

Post a Comment